Top cop urges slay suspect: Dont’ wait for arrest warrant

THE CITY police director urged the main suspect in architect John Riz Fortuna’s slay earlier this month to surrender before the warrant of arrest will be released by the Regional Trial Court.

“I just hope that before it (arrest warrant) is released, he would have already surrendered,” Sr. Supt. Vicente D. Danao Jr. told reporters during a press conference at the “Pulong-Pulong ni Pulong” yesterday.

Danao admitted that he was surprised when Giger showed up at the Grand Men Seng Hotel and presented himself before Mayor Rodrigo Duterte.

But the police officer said that the gesture fell short of surrender, and perhaps the suspect knew that the police couldn’t arrest him without a warrant because the regulamentary period has already expired.

“It’s very obvious because the wife (of Fortuna) saw him,” he said.

Sr. Insp. Milgrace Driz, spokesperson of Davao City Police Office, said they are just waiting for the arrest warrant before they can take action against Giger.

In an interview, Giger’s counsel, Nestor Fernandez, said his client will surrender once the warrant of arrest is issued.

Giger was allegedly seen by Fortuna’s wife shoot the victim inside his car in Barrio Obrero Street before escaping on a tricycle heading towards Cabaguio Avenue on June 20.

Fortuna was declared dead on arrival in the Southern Philippines Medical Center. Scene of the Crime Operatives recovered eight empty shells of 9mm pistol from the crime scene which were sent to the crime laboratory for ballistics test. (with reports from Yas Ocampo)

Posted in Latest News