TIMESMAN| Pagkain muna bago Mamasapano

IF YOU ASK me whether President Duterte is right when he hinted to reopen the investigation of the Jan. 25, 2015 Mamasapano massacre that killed 44 Special Action Force (SAF), 17 Moro rebels, and 5 innocent civilians, my answer is a big NO.

Was it not the President himself during his State of the Nation Address (SONA) who stated that his administration will no longer cite or blame past administrations for the ills and sufferings of the people which he inherit. In short, he will make reconciliation with them as well as his enemies?

The Mamasapano tragedy brought too much pain, anger, and suffering to the families of the victims and exposed the lack of coordination and preparedness among our police in actual combat as well as disregard of government officials for the lives of the people.

Although the President’s commitment in reviving the issue is “not really to prosecute people but just to know what happened,” as for me, the Filipinos already knew that the purpose of the police operation dubbed as “Oplan Exodus” was to serve the warrants of arrest against two high-value targets – Zulkifli bin Hir aka Marwan, a Malaysian national allegedly involved in the Jemaah Islamiyah terror group and wanted by the United States government, Abdulbasit Usman, who had already been reported killed in 2012 in what media reports described as “US-backed air strike” in Jolo, Sulu, was killed in Mamasapano. Usman managed to escape but was killed a few months later.

The police were able to serve the warrant but over Marwan and Usman dead bodies, and also at the expense of the 44 SAF and 22 others.

To the families and relatives of the victims, they may already accept the fact that their loved ones are gone and they have moved on.

And this is where the Duterte administration should look into instead of reviving the tragic incident in the minds of the people. Check whether the families and relatives of the victims, may they be enemies or not, fully receive the compensation due and other financial assistance the Aquino administration had promised them. If not, then punish the people tasked to manage the assistance to the victims. If possible, include former President Aquino in the investigation since the incident happened during his term.

Reopening of the Mamasapano investigation to know the truth may no longer be of interest to the aggrieved parties, although to some maybe—politicians, or other people riding on the issue for their vested interest.

Pagkain sa kumakalam na sikmura ang mahalaga sa mga nabubuhay pang taga Mamasapano at iba pang biktima.

–ooOoo–

Of course promoter, trainer and other people close to Manny Pacquiao who is now training in Las Vegas for a Nov. 5 fight with a relatively unknown Mexican boxer Jessie Vargas will only say the best for their idol.

“You can say what you want about Pacquiao and Vargas,” promoter Bob Arum said. “I think it is competitive, other people don’t. That’s their opinion.”

Trainer Freddie Roach said everything is also fine with Pacquiao boxing career … “This is the best I’ve seen Manny in a long time. He’s been a lot more aggressive. The old Manny Pacquiao is coming out.”

What do you expect of people who earned millions of dollars while Pacquiao is on the ring to say? Siyempre, puro positibo.  

But whether the Pacquiao-Vargas fight will still attract the old crowd reminiscence of the past fights although much lesser profit for the promoter as fight tickets are much lower by the hundreds than the previous promotions, boxing fans will still see the Nov. 5 encounter knowing that there are added three title fights to the undercard that include Nonito Donaire. While attendance may be not all for Pacquiao, Donaire may still a star for them.

Kung wala ito, baka langawin sila.

–ooOoo–

The preparation laid down by the Davao City Police Office for the peaceful observance of All Saint’s Day and All Soul’s Day next week is quiet unprecedented that may even surpass the security plan given to President Duterte every time he is in the city.

All precinct commanders and some 2,600 police personnel and force multipliers – barangay tanods, CAFGUS, and even private security guards – are directed to conduct foot and mobile patrols in the residential and subdivision areas aside from the security patrol in the cemeteries.

With all the police out of their precincts, no one may stay behind except detained criminals who will mend their things. When the cat is away, the mouse will play. Ayos!

Posted in Opinion