TIMESMAN| Get rid of trash first, before complaining

THE ISSUE of thousands of tons of trash shipped by a Canadian firm to Manila since 2013 seems to me a never ending topic and even now a politician running for the vice presidency uses it as an issue to maybe bolster his candidacy.

Sen. Francis “Chiz” Escudero remarked that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who just attended the recently Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) here, said the prime minister remained vague when asked on whether his government would take the trash back.

Trudeau said he has been “made aware of this situation and told that there’s a Canadian solution being developed.” At the sametime, he said, “this is a problem that needs fixing within our own legislation.”

Since the erring firm has already been identified—Chronic Inc., a private company in Ontario that shipped a total of 103 container vans of garbage mislabelled as “recyclable plastic materials” but when inspected contained mixed waste such as adult diapers, waste papers and other household trash, why not the government dump first the trash into a landfill say in the crater of Mt. Pinatubo in Pampanga where its inhabitants evacuated the area after it was erupted and made its surrounding areas barren, and sue later the guilty party?

It was reported that 26 container vans of trash had been dumped into a landfill in Tarlac already and the Department of Health said that 18 more need to be disinfected immediately.

Why then the government has to do it piece by piece to get rid of the trash when it can do it by wholesale to save the residents from getting infected?

Magtatatlong taon na ang basura sa atin, yet the Canadian government continued to ignore our plea. Canadians will not act immediately. Hindi naman sila ang bumabaho kung hindi tayo.

Escudero is right, although I suspect he’s only politicking, when he said: “I appreciate his (Trudeau) comment and thank him for his effort. However, the fact remains that the trash is here and we are left to fend for ourselves and spend our own money to dispose of it despite the clear treaty obligation of Canada to get it back at their expense.”

Gastusan muna natin while Canada is still dilly dallying to get the trash back. Mabahong mabaho na ang gobyernong ito dahil mahinang magdesisyon. Basura lang yan!

–ooOoo–

Here we are again!

Senate President Franklin Drilon expressed optimism that the Senate will be able to pass the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) before December despite giving priority on the proposed 2016 national budget and the Salary Standardization Law 2015 (SSL2015).

If the new commitment month of the Senate to pass the BBL is on or before December, I doubt if our lawmakers will make it.

They only have today, Nov. 26 and Nov. 27 working days to work on the BBL as the last remaining three days of the month—Nov. 28 (Saturday), Nov. 29 (Sunday), and Nov.30 (Monday) are non working days.

Drilon must have forgotten his ability to count dates that he has to promise again our restive Moro brothers of their partial autonomy to rule themselves.

How many times our politicians give us the assurance of the BBL passage–three, four, or six times since May when both Chambers are deliberating on the controversial Bill?

Now, they only have two days left to work on it. They are not superheroes that can do wonder.

Anyway, nakalimutan ko. Mga politiko pala sila na sanay sa mga pangakong kadalasan hindi natutupad.

–ooOoo–

Again, we are reminding homeowners of Damosa Fairlane at Mamay Road that our Christmas Party will be on Nov. 28 (Friday) starting at 6 p.m. at the Continental Club House of the high-end residences.

Wear white shirts and bring P1,000 worth of exchange gift. Merry Christmas in advance to one and all!

Posted in Opinion