Mindanao Times » president rodrigo duterte http://mindanaotimes.net Tue, 18 Sep 2018 01:51:15 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=3.9.25 Timesman | Go, Bong Go! http://mindanaotimes.net/timesman-go-bong-go/ http://mindanaotimes.net/timesman-go-bong-go/#comments Sun, 15 Apr 2018 13:33:40 +0000 http://mindanaotimes.net/?p=56757 Read more ›]]> The die-hard supporters of Special Assistant to the President Christopher “Bong” Go that launched the Bayan 4 Bong Go (B4BG) movement last week urging him to run for a Senate seat may not be aware that the election for the national positions is more than a year away.
The group wanted Go to run because of his good performance in helping the President in running the affairs of the government.
While their intention may be good, some observers might think that campaign funds are their primordial consideration as Bong is an administration boy and as the saying goes: “The early bird catches the worm.” The earlier the better for the movement to save more funding.
Bong is not a politician, although he has been exposed to politics for years being a special assistant to then mayor and now President Duterte.
I know Bong since he was still in kindergarden. I often saw him in the company of his mom Marichu every time she dropped by Tesoro Printing Press being a Tesoro herself. Marichu is the eldest daughter of the late Aida Aranas and August Tesoro who happened to be a good friend of mine.
Bong is mahiyain, a man of few words. You can’t expect him to start a conversation. Although he was considered then the “little mayor” when city hall documents had to pass by his table before reaching the office of the mayor, his powerful position never made Bong hambog and abusado unlike some politicians.
And even when Bong has already been in Malacanang enjoying the same trust and confidence of the President, he has remained humble and approachable at hindi pa rin lumaki ang ulo. Again, unlike some politicians!
If Bong’s being mabait at masipag are the barometer that resulted in the forming of the B4BG that has since endorsed his candidacy, then the group is in the right direction.
But for endorsing Bong to run at this early, their intention is suspect.
Bong is right when he said: “Bigyan niyo lang ako ng konting panahon, trabaho po muna ako ngayon. Marami pa akong dapat gawin na trabaho. Sana maintindihan niyo ako.”
Sana maintindihan ka nga nila, Bong!
-o0o-
President Duterte’s warning to arrest an International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor if she conducts any probe in the country should not be taken lightly.
Our President is not joking. Pag sinabi niyan, tiyak gagawin niya!
ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has become the latest target of President Duterte after the official announced in February the start of the preliminary examination into a complaint of a Filipino lawyer accusing the President and other top administration officials of crimes against humanity and of killing criminals as a policy.
President Duterte said earlier that the Philippines was no longer a member after he withdrew from the ICC’s Rome Statute two months ago and the court had no more right to do any investigating.
Anyway, ICC Prosecutor Bensouda is still beyond reach by our President being not in the country yet.
But in case Bensouda ignores President Duterte’s threat and comes to the Philippines, she might suffer the same fate as that of Sen. Leila de Lima, who has been in jail for illegal drugs charges.
-o0o-
So, a Manny Pacquiao-Lucas Matthysse fight is scheduled in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia on July 15.
At 40, Pacquiao is no longer young to be in the ring. He may not have the strength and speed when he won eight belts for the same number of weight classes.
The Argentine welterweight champion, Matthysse, is 36 and at this age, he might still be at the peak of his career with 39 wins (36 by knockout) against only four losses.
Pacquiao should not take it easy and must not be complacent to avoid being the 40th victim of the Argentinean!
Don’t worry fanatics of the Filipino icon, this time I will bet for your idol. Pilipino rin ako, hindi ba?

]]>
http://mindanaotimes.net/timesman-go-bong-go/feed/ 0
Editorial | Missing the point http://mindanaotimes.net/editorial-missing-the-point/ http://mindanaotimes.net/editorial-missing-the-point/#comments Sun, 25 Feb 2018 06:46:50 +0000 http://mindanaotimes.net/?p=54841 Read more ›]]> The stir that the Boracay controversy has created has resulted in concerned agencies scampering for solutions to the garbage problem.

In the Davao Region for instance, the regional office of the Environmental Management Bureau, an attached agency of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, issued a press statement over the weekend that it has intensified the monitoring of beaches to ensure that the coastal waters are safe for swimming.
The agency said that last year, it created the Regional Inter-Agency Technical Committee as it has been coordinating with other agencies in monitoring water quality of beaches that are go-to places of tourists, both foreign and local.
The agency said that last year, nine of those beach resorts in Samal were able to set up their septage treatment facilities. It added that it will continue to monitor of the resorts in all parts of the region as this is a priority of Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Roy Cimatu.
Cimatu’s plate is full as President Rodrigo R. Duterte has challenged him to restore order in Boracay in six months, otherwise he will order the tourist haven to be closed to visitors.
Of course, garbage treatment facilities are needed to ensure the cleanliness of the water, but government agencies seem to forget the main cause the problem. When people congregate in an area and their numbers go up indiscriminately, what must be expected are problems and garbage is just one of them.
There are destinations that have imposed a regulation on carrying capacity, but because the main motivation both of government and the business sector is revenue, they forget that inviting more tourists necessitates the establishments of key facilities that can at least curb the problems that they create.
Otherwise, although it is essential to look at the preparedness of the establishments in setting up basic facilities like septage treatment, it is also imperative for government to institute reforms that will limit the carrying capacity of any tourist destination.
Otherwise, the problems that this investment brings to the environment will continue to rear their ugly heads.

cartoon

]]>
http://mindanaotimes.net/editorial-missing-the-point/feed/ 0
Not welcome! http://mindanaotimes.net/not-welcome/ http://mindanaotimes.net/not-welcome/#comments Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:35:58 +0000 http://mindanaotimes.net/?p=54389 ]]> City Council declares Senator Trillanes, businesswoman Lewis persona non grata

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV was declared persona non grata by the City Council through a resolution authored by Vice Mayor Bernard Al-ag yesterday.
The Senator was declared persona non grata for his comment that Davao City was “the most dangerous city in the Philippines.”
Persona non grata literally means an “unwelcome person.”
Al-ag, in his privilege speech, said that he takes offense in the statement of Trillanes calling Davao City as number 1 in murder, number 2 in rape and the most dangerous city in the Philippines.
“Declaring that my city is the most dangerous city in the Philippines is not acceptable! This is an insult to the 1.6 million Dabawenyos who are working hard every day to make our city safe,” said Al-ag. He also cited that the city received in 2011 and 2015 the Seal of Good Local Governance from former Interior Secretary Mar Roxas commending Davao City’s good performance.
Al-ag dared the Filipinos who attended a forum in Chicago where Trillanes made the comment to come to Davao City, try to ride a taxi or a jeepney or try walking in the streets at night. If they think that Davao is a city of murderers and rapists he will refund all their travel expenses to Chicago.
In a separate resolution, Fil-Am businesswoman Loida Nicolas-Lewis was also declared “persona non grata.”
The resolution, proposed by Councilor Danilo Dayanghirang, was also approved yesterday.
Dayanghirang, in an interview, said that Lewis must also be banned from entering the city as she’s responsible of funding alleged destabilization plots against the Duterte administration.

]]>
http://mindanaotimes.net/not-welcome/feed/ 0
863 NPA members, supporters give up http://mindanaotimes.net/863-npa-members-supporters-give-up/ http://mindanaotimes.net/863-npa-members-supporters-give-up/#comments Sat, 10 Feb 2018 09:03:54 +0000 http://mindanaotimes.net/?p=54183 ]]> At least 860 communist members and supporters have surrendered to the authorities in Davao.


The Philippine Army’s 10th Infantry (Agila) Division has recorded 64 regular members and 799 supporters of the New People’s Army (NPA) – a total of 863 — to have surrendered in the region since last month.
Capt. Jerry Lamosao, spokesperson of 10th ID, credited the continued conduct of its Community Support Program (CSP), part of its Development Support and Security Plan (DSSP) Kapayapaan, which aims not only to secure communities from violence and insurgency but also securing them from poverty, hunger, and other major social issues that slowly cripples down the marginalized sectors.

Speaking on Wednesday’s AFP- PNP press conference Lamosao said that 799 supporters who surrendered were members of Sangay sa Partido sa Lokalidad, Militiang Bayan, Underground Mass Organization and other left-leaning organizations.

They also recovered 38 surrendered firearms.

As of Feb. 7, they have recorded 15 encounters and seized 22 firearms and 26 improvised explosive devices (IED). They also discovered 17 enemy encampments.

Based on their record, there were 9 CPP-NPA killed and two other members arrested.

On the side of the government, there were two soldiers killed in action (one regular and one militiaman) and 12 wounded (five regular and seven militiamen) and lost two firearms.

“Our focused military operation continues, especially after there were two IPs killed in Talaingod (Davao del Norte),” Lamosao said. “We intensify the presence of the soldiers in that area.”

He said the army’s information dissemination continues “as we also urge the public to report to their local chief executives and AFP and police in your area the presence of any terrorist group.

“With this, we may be able to prevent atrocities.”

 

]]>
http://mindanaotimes.net/863-npa-members-supporters-give-up/feed/ 0
683 ex-rebels to dine with PRRD, AFP chief http://mindanaotimes.net/683-ex-rebels-to-dine-with-prrd-afp-chief/ http://mindanaotimes.net/683-ex-rebels-to-dine-with-prrd-afp-chief/#comments Tue, 30 Jan 2018 11:32:05 +0000 http://mindanaotimes.net/?p=53665 ]]> Around 700 members of the New People’s Army (NPA) who surrendered in December last year will get the opportunity to have dinner with President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacanang.

Col. Ernesto Torres, the commander of 1003rd Infantry (Raptor) Brigade  and also the newly appointed spokesperson of Martial law in Eastern Mindanao, said the 683 identified rebel returnees coming from the different battalions of Eastern Mindanao Command will be flown to Manila as part of their educational tour.

“So we expect that  the objective of what we call the educational tour is to  encourage active participation  of our former rebels  in nation- and peace-building,” he said.

The brigade commander said the former rebels will be brought to Manila in three batches (more than 200 per batch) from Feb. 6 to 10, 2018 via C-130 Air Force plane while the other two batches will be announced later.

“For the first batch there will be more than 200 they will be transported using C-130 and they will be housed and billeted … accommodation will be provided,” he said.

There will  be two scheduled dinners for the 683 rebel returnees:  first is with the AFP Chief of Staff Rey Leonardo Guerrero, and second with President Duterte in Malacanang.

“We also expect that the President will talk to them and update them on the progress of the programs that are being offered to them,” Torres said.

“This will be  sense of history because they will be toured to Intramuros, Malacanang  and other  historic spots in the Philippines,” he added.

Hopefully, he said, the rebel returnees will also be able to convince their former comrades to come down from the mountains.

“That’s how serious we are in increasing the awareness  of our Lumad brothers  who we know  are victimized by the recruitment of the NPA,” he added.

]]>
http://mindanaotimes.net/683-ex-rebels-to-dine-with-prrd-afp-chief/feed/ 0