Mindanao Times » nccc mall fire http://mindanaotimes.net Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:50:50 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=3.9.25 Burnt NCCC Mall up for demolition http://mindanaotimes.net/burnt-nccc-mall-up-for-demolition/ http://mindanaotimes.net/burnt-nccc-mall-up-for-demolition/#comments Tue, 27 Feb 2018 12:39:30 +0000 http://mindanaotimes.net/?p=55028 Read more ›]]> The burnt NCCC Mall, which has a total building floor area of 60,568 square meters, will soon be flattened after the management gained a go signal from the city government to pursue the demolition.

Data from the Office of the Building Official (OCBO) bared that NCCC was granted a demolition permit on Feb. 20. Within a year, the permit directs the NCCC to destroy the building in a period of 30 days from the day it starts the demolition.

This, the data from OCBO cited, “shall be undertaken only after the building has been vacated and all utility lines such as electric, gas, telephone and water installations have been disconnected.”

The OCBO data also said that the demolition has to be compliant with the rules of National Building Code to ensure safety for the workers and prevent from damaging other infrastructures near the mall.

Thea Padua, NCCC spokesperson and public relations manager, told the TIMES that although they already gained a permit, they have yet to schedule when they would start to demolish the 14-year old mall.

“The city building official has issued us a demolition permit but there is no specific date yet as to when (would it be implemented) pending the submission of the report from the Bureau of Fire and Protection,” Padua said.

Acting City Building Official Cirinia Grace Catubig told the reporters in an interview at her office yesterday that the burnt mall would be the biggest infrastructure that would be demolished so far in the city.

This arose as the NCCC Mall, which was established in 2003, was razed on Dec. 23, killing 38 people.

“It is up to them (the company) when they would start the demolition. The demolition has to be done as soon as possible,” Catubig said.

In a report of MindaNews, the Bureau of Fire Protection earlier recommended for the total demolition of the shopping center. The bureau assessed that the entire building was totally damaged except the ground floor.

The NCCC has also set up a temporary fence.

“This (the fence) is for safety purposes. The mall has to be cordoned so the people that would pass by at the site would not be hit if there is a falling debris or cause the falling debris from affecting other structures near the mall,” Catubig said.

]]>
http://mindanaotimes.net/burnt-nccc-mall-up-for-demolition/feed/ 0
NCCC to fence burned Ma-a mall http://mindanaotimes.net/nccc-to-fence-burned-ma-a-mall/ http://mindanaotimes.net/nccc-to-fence-burned-ma-a-mall/#comments Thu, 01 Feb 2018 15:17:55 +0000 http://mindanaotimes.net/?p=53745 ]]> The management of NCCC Mall will put up a temporary fence as way to cordon the burnt site following the recommendation made by the Office of the City Building Official (OCBO).

OCBO officer-in-charge Cirinia Grace Catubig said the company applied for permit in the third week of January at their office to allow them to establish a temporary fence. She said this was among their recommendations that they provided to the management.

“This is for safety purposes. The mall has to be cordoned so the people that would pass by at the site would not be hit if there is a falling debris or cause the falling debris from affecting other structures near the mall,” Catubig told the reporters in an interview at her office.

The OCBO also recommended for the demolition of the mall, which was razed on Dec. 23 that killed 38 people, mostly call center agents of their tenant, Research Now SSI.

Catubig said the owners of the shopping center could not yet demolish it pending the investigation by authorities. While it has yet to be demolished, she said a fence has to be established at the site.

In a report of MindaNews, the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) also recommended for the total demolition of the shopping center. The bureau assessed that the entire building was totally damaged except the ground floor.

The fire damages reached about P1.6 billion, according to BFP.

Based on the initial investigation, the fire started in the third floor, where flammable materials such as furniture and fabric were located. Investigators are determining the possible liabilities of SSI and NCCC Mall in the incident.

Reports cited that the automatic fire suppression system, which would have released water during the fire, was reportedly disabled as a portion of the mall was under maintenance. (KMF)

]]>
http://mindanaotimes.net/nccc-to-fence-burned-ma-a-mall/feed/ 0