Stricter security eyed for `Araw’

MEMBERS of the executive planning committees for the Araw ng Dabaw 2016 are looking at imposing stricter security measures for the event which is slated on March 11-16.

City Tourism Officer Ma. Felisa Marques said city government officials have met with security team for the event to discuss security issues, particularly measures on how to implement previous mechanisms like prohibiting backpacks, aluminum water bottles,  and sharp objects.

“As of [Wednesday’s] meeting, the security component (of the committees) is proposing to deploy about 5, 000 personnel, which could be about 500 to 600 security personnel per event,” Marques said at Thursday’s I-Speak forum.

The stricter security measures, she added, are needed because of the upcoming elections and that they also expect more visitor, among them candidates, will come to the festivities.

 “We are going to come up with guidelines to make sure the event won’t become political in nature,” said Marques, adding that the committee will deploy more marshals to make the flow of the parade continuous and to prevent politicians from taking advantage of the event.

Although, Marques did not mention the budget for the event this year, last year the city government and its partners spent P8 million.

Posted in Latest News