No firecracker casualty in the city

THE DAVAO City Police Office (DCPO) yesterday said there was no reported casualty caused by firecrackers in the city during the New Year’s celebration.

However, 10 individuals, including four minors, were collared by the police for firecracker use in the different barangays of the city.

Sr. Insp. Maria Teresita Gaspan, the DCPO spokesperson, in an interview, said there was no casualty caused by firecracker per information from the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC), the largest government hospital in the region.

Although a fire hit Barangay Wilfredo Aquino in Agdao and there were stabbing and vehicular incidents, Gaspan said “the New Year’s celebration was generally peaceful.”

Gaspan also said there was also no report of an illegal discharge of firearms in the city.

Since the city government passed in 2002 the ordinance banning the use of firecracker and pyrotechnics, no casualty has since been reported at SPMC.

Few minutes after the New Year, two persons were arrested for violating the firecracker ban by Talomo police officers.

One of the arrested was a minor who was immediately released. The other was identified as Aliza Gracyl Beldia, 27, who was arrested in S.I.R Matina in Barangay Bucana (76-A) for lighting a pyrotechnic.

In Calinan, police arrested Rizan Roca Gofrero, 30, a laborer from Barangay Wangan. Confiscated from him was one tin can cannon known as lantaka.

The Bunawan police also collared five, including three minors.

The two adults were identified as Noel and Acero Bainticulo, both residents of Km. 24 in Bunawan. Taking from them were 17 pieces of firecrackers and one pack of sparklers.

Buhangin police officers also arrested two persons for firecracker use. Michael Libre Sistual, 36, and Nick Flores, both residents of Barangay Communal, Buhangin were allegedly caught lighting a pyrotechnic fountain

Police officers in both Tugbok and San Pedro stations were able also to recover abandoned pyrotechnic materials, but made no arrest.

In Barangay Bucana, a stabbing incident was reported in Saint John. The victim, name not revealed, sustained two stab wounds on his back and was brought to the PMC for medical attention. The perpetrator remained at large.

At about 12:15 am on the first day of the year, a fire incident hit Barangay Aquino in Agdao District.

The fire lasted for almost three hours and razed around 100 houses affecting more than a hundred families. No casualty was reported.

A vehicular incident was reported in Buhangin police.

The victim rammed his driven motorcycle in a concrete electric post, resulting in his instantaneous death.

Another vehicular accident was also recorded at Bunawan police.

Posted in under_HEADLINES1