Hike in revenue from “Tiangge sa Katawhan” eyed

THE CITY government projected an increase in revenues this year out of the night market in Roxas Avenue having collected P1.749 million as of the first three months of the year.

Col. Yusop Jimlani, chief of the City Demolition Unit (CDU), said yesterday in the weekly Kapihan sa Dabaw at SM City Davao-Annex that in March alone, their collection rose to P632, 962.26 from P607,312.04 in February and P509,131.25 in January.

The CDU, which was tasked to look into the operation of “Tiangge sa Katawhan,” expected that the income from the night market will steadily increase this year.

Last year, Jimlani said the city government was able to collect P5.473 million, which rose from P2.242 million in 2014. These were generated from the fees it collected from the vendors at the night market.

The city government is collecting P15 a day as leasable space and P10 for the light. For 30 days, it would be a total of P750 or P765 in 31 days.

As of April 30, the night market had 705 vendors, mostly those selling used clothes. In the list, there were 188 vendors of accessories, 164 of food and 353 of used clothes.

The night market at Roxas Ave., data from CDU cited, has still 48 available slots.

“To accommodate more vendors, we will propose to the next administration to expand the night market in other areas,” Jimlani said, citing that among the prescribed areas include Ilustre, Ilustre extension, Agdao and Toril.

Posted in Business