Exec: 329 contingents to join `Araw’ parade

THE “Araw ng Davao” parade tomorrow is drawing 329 contingents and will last until 12 noon, said Orly L. Escarilla, spokesperson for the annual celebration.

Speaking at the AFP-PNP press conference held at Royal Mandaya Hotel yesterday, he noted that the number of contingents this year is lower than the 400 last year.

“The (number of participants) was one of the reasons why the parade lasted longer (last year) so for this year, our target is for the parade to be finished by 12 noon,” he added.

The contingents will come from security units, government agencies, organizations, members of the indigenous communities and Moro groups.

Escarilla said city government employees will have the parade from the People’s Park to the Rizal Park and a short contest among them, dubbed as “City Hall Got Talent” was scheduled in the afternoon.

Sr. Supt. Alexander Tagum, Davao City Police Office director, said security units in the city have intensified their monitoring of threats.

“For your information we have no positive and validated information that indicates that they (threat groups) have the plan (to conduct terroristic activities); but I would like to assure you (that) the joint forces of the PNP (Philippine National Police) and the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) are intently and relentlessly gathering information (to prevent) the possible plan of threat groups in the city during the celebration,” Tagum said.

Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang, the deputy commander of Task Force Davao, said the military body is also deploying its units during the celebration as well as the upcoming Alveo Ironman 70.3 on March 25.

“After these two major activities they (soldiers) will have another deployment during Holy Week,” said Cabangbang, adding that the military unit has also been intensifying its coordination with the Davao City Police Office and the Public Safety and Security Command Center.

He said the military unit will ensure that they will not impede the traffic flow when the conduct checkpoints. “(What) we are trying to do right now is to lengthen the inspection area so that we will not cause traffic,” he said.

The Regional Police Office is also implementing its support plan to the city police for the celebration, said Chief. Insp. Milgrace Driz, its spokesperson.

“We have assigned more or less 200 PNP personnel from the Regional Mobile Force Battalion (RMFB) (to help secure the activities) and we are also having a reserve unit of about 100,” Driz said.

 

Posted in under_HEADLINES1