Emergency drills to continue until response becomes second nature

THE CITY’S emergency response office said it will implement continuous drills among barangays until the protocols become automatic during emergency situations.

Emmanuel Jaldon, Central 911 head, said the city’s barangays, especially those in high-risk areas such as near the coast and at the foot of landslide-prone areas, have to constantly hone their skills to effectively respond to disaster situations.

“We do not stop until we reach the level of unconscious compliance, [among residents],” he said.

In terms of preempting disasters, the city is relying mostly on its recently installed electronic early warning system in coastal communities for tsunami or flooding alerts.

“We cannot prevent disasters, but we can mitigate [its effects],” he said.

In an ideal scenario, the awareness of emergency response starts with the individual and expands to the community to build a common mindset when it comes to mitigating disasters.

Last April 20, the CDRRMC, located at the Central 911 compound, received materials such as books, pamphlets and instructional videos on the proper response procedures during times of disasters.

The materials were acquired through the Surge Project of Handicap International and will also launch in the provincial emergency offices of Comval and Davao Oriental.

The city’s barangays were also  handed over vehicles and motorcycles primarily intended for emergency response and transportation in the barangays.

In November last year, the city government turned over P150 million worth of equipment to the Central 911 which included urban search and rescue materials like suits and helmets, radios, as well as vehicles for emergency response.

Posted in Latest News