Elderly couple dies in fire

AN ELDERLY couple was trapped to death in a fire that hit their house in Central Park, Bangkal, Barangay Talomo Proper. 1 a.m. yesterday.

Senior Fire Officer 2 Ramil Gillado, fire investigator of the Bureau of Fire and Protection (BFP) XI, identified the victims as Nerios Ruperos, 83, and wife, Carmen, 73.

Helper Junito Arnoco who lived in the warehouse in the compound survived the incident.

According to the report, Arnoco sought help when the fire hit the house at Isarog Street in Central Park, a high-end subdivision.

Arnoco said they slept early that night.

The house help said he woke up due to the sudden heat and he noted that the house was on fire.

Arnoco escaped from the burning property by jumping over the fence.

Neighbors said they heard the couple screaming for help but could not be rescued as the fire quickly spread. Nerios was bedridden.

Responding BFP firefighters tried to rescue the couple but they could not penetrate the house since the door was heavily locked.

Firefighters controlled the fire in about 30 minutes.

In the initial investigation, the fire started at the kitchen of the house where there were several appliances.

The estimated cost of damage was placed at P1 million.

Aside from faulty electrical wiring, Gillado said they are looking into the possible arson case, as they are conducting investigation on Arnoco.

The death of the Ruperos couple brought to eight the figure of fire fatalities in this month alone in the city. A total of 19 fire incidents was reported since January.

Last April 11, a fire also hit a gas shop in the same area that killed four persons.

Among the cause of fire, faulty electrical connection topped the list with 10 cases.

Others included electrical appliances, open flames, lighted matchstick, and cigarette butt.

Posted in under_HEADLINES1