Duterte confirms tasking military in anti-drug war

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte said he will be tasking the military to formally be involved in the war against drugs, confirming the statement issued by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency about an executive order to be drafted soon.

Mr. Duterte, speaking at Thursday’s Philippine Association of Water Districts National Convention at the SMX Convention Center, said this would be the government’s response to the recent incidents involving the police enforcers under his administration.

PDEA regional director Adzar Albani, in a press conference Wednesday, said President Duterte was expected to release the EO by the end of February.

The President said that he was beginning to lose faith in agencies such as the National Bureau of Investigation and the Philippine National Police.

“I want to add, even the NBI… kasali kayo. Kasi nawalan na ako ng tiwala sa inyo,” Duterte said.

However, he said that he still had faith in the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), which has been left as the sole executor of the campaign against drugs.

Meanwhile, President Duterte revealed more names from his thick list of narcopoliticians, binders-thick, which he carries from place to place to illustrate the magnitude of the country’s drug trade.

The names included several local government officials from Ilocos Norte and Pangasinan, Calabarzon and Region VI.

Earlier this week, PNP chief Ronald dela Rosa castigated and publicly punished seven policemen from Angeles City who were tagged in the extortion attempt on Korean nationals in their jurisidiction.

Last Sunday, President Duterte and dela Rosa said there would be a temporary halt in the anti-drug operations led by police, as it cleanses itself internally.

Posted in under_HEADLINES3