City still on the fence over aid for CDO flood victims

THE CITY government has not decided yet whether to allocate financial assistance to Northern Mindanao, particularly Iligan and Cagayan de Oro cities, devastated by floods on Monday night.

Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, speaking to reporters Tuesday morning, said the city council is still tackling the possible aid.

The city government of Davao has already donated around P15 million in three different regular and special sessions to assist typhoon affected areas earlier this year.

According to the Department of Social Welfare and Development, among the most heavily affected were Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental; and Cagayan de Oro.

The DSWD is preparing around 600 family food kits to augment the efforts of Gingoog’s local government unit.

In Lagonglong, the DSWD will be giving around 150 family food packs to the Municipality of Lagonglong in Misamis Oriental, which was also one of the most affected LGUs in the province.

In Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, there will be around 1,500 family food packs to be released in the area.

The CDO’s city council held an emergency session at 1 a.m. of Tuesday to put the area under a state of calamity.

Meanwhile, the DSWD has allocated P7 million as standby funds for the region.

At any given moment, the region has 9,000 family food packs , 2,000 dignity kits, and 3,200 sacks of rice ready for augmentation upon request from Local Government Units in Northern Mindanao.

At least 307 boxes of ready to eat foods are also available and ready for release upon request, the agency said.

As of this time, two confirmed casualties have been reported.

Confirmed dead was Nilo Ciloman , 56 years old and James Chan, 3 years old both from Gingoog City.

Posted in under_HEADLINES3