City ready to give aid to slain UP student’s family

The City Mayor’s Office is willing to assist the family of slain student leader Rendell Ryan Edpan Cagula, who was reportedly killed in an encounter with the Armed Forces of the Philippines last week.

In an interview Tuesday at the SMX Convention Center, Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte said he would still have to read about the circumstances of Cagula’s death.

“Let’s find out first what happened,” Duterte said. “If they would ask for help or assistance, there is no problem.”

Duterte added that he respected the ideology of Cagula, who has been tagged as a member of the New People’s Army.

Cagula was a University of the Philippines-Mindanao student council president from 2011-2012 and served as a student leader in both League of Filipino Students and Karapatan Southern Mindanao over the past years.

“It’s a matter of ideology,” Duterte said. “That’s his principle. We can’t control one’s principles.”

According to a source from UP Mindanao, the remains of Perper are interned at his residence at San Lorenzo Village in Puan.

Perper’s body will also be interned in the UP Mindanao campus in Mintal for one night before the burial.

In an interview with MindaNews, Cagula’s mother Marina was not sure whether her son was a member of the rebel group.

“He said he was teaching the Lumads,” Marina told MindaNews earlier this week.

Cagula, known as Perper by his friends and schoolmates, was one of three killed in an encounter with the 27th Infantry Brigade in Brgy. Nomoh, Maasim Sarangani last Nov. 4, Tuesday, according to 10th Infantry Division spokesperson Ernest Carolina.

The bodies of Cagula, along with two others, were recovered after the encounter.

Marina identified Perper’s body after showing her son’s ID to the Maasim PNP.

One of the other bodies, that of Johnny Wata Camag, was also claimed by 55-year-old Noel Lingcanan Camag.

The third body has not yet been claimed or identified.

Carolina said in a statement that the AFP recovered nine high-powered fire arms on site, among these were an M4 carbine, four M16 rifles, three M14 rifles and one M653 carbine.

Personal belongings and “subversive documents” were also found on the site.

“While no casualties were sustained by the 27th IB troops, it is still undetermined whether the fleeing NPA dragged with them more casualties,” Carolina said in a statement.

Maj. Gen. Eduardo M. Año, commander of the 10th Infantry Division “expressed his grief” for the fallen NPA whom he described to be “made to believe in an unnecessary armed struggle”.

Año said, “There is no more sense in fighting with the use of arms. We are call upon the remaining NPA to put an end to their armed struggle and instead join us in rebuilding our communities, before it’s too late.”

Last Oct. 31, the same troops from 27th IB clashed with the same group of NPA rebels in neighboring Barangay Lumasal, Maasim, Sarangani.

The clash resulted to one NPA killed and recovery of one M16 rifle, the ninth NPA body and the 20th high powered firearm recovered in the 10th Infantry Division area of responsibility for the month of October.

The most recent encounter in Nov. 4 brings the total to 12 bodies and 29 firearms since Eastern Mindanao Command’s Lieutenant General Aurelio B. Baladad ordered the division to step up operations, according to the AFP.

 

Posted in under_HEADLINES2