Carpio no longer Lapanday’s lawyer

LAWYER Manases Carpio distanced himself from the controversy surrounding the demolition of 300 houses in a property claimed by Lapanday in Barangay Tigatto, Buhangin District.

In a statement sent to reporters Monday, Carpio—husband of Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio—said he was no longer involved with the company.

“I’m no longer connected with Lapanday. I do not engage in any legal work/transactions with them,” Carpio said.

“Simply put, they are not my clients anymore,” Carpio said.

Carpio’s name as legal counsel was initially floated around May this year when members of the New People’s Army torched the company’s packing plant in Barangay Mandug in a daring simultaneous raid on three different locations.

Meanwhile, armed groups allegedly employed by Lapanday removed residents from the area.

Duterte has since ordered the local government to assess the type of assistance the local government can provide for the displaced residents.

Residents of the Kagan Bangsamoro Village sought the help of Duterte last week after their homes were demolished. “What we can give them is financial assistance so they can transfer somewhere, and then for the initial days their food assistance,” Duterte said.

The mayor added the qualified residents would be listed as beneficiaries of relocation homes at the Los Amigos government-owned relocation area.

Residents of the homes have cried foul regarding the alleged “forced” demolition of homes at the site last Monday, which led to a clash between residents and the demolition team reportedly employed by Lapanday. Earlier reports place around 250 personnel, some of them armed, demolished homes at the site.

Posted in under_HEADLINES2