Biggest security coverage for Kadayawan starts today

THE SECURITY plan for the Kadayawan will be fully enforced today as the weekend opening for the annual festival went without a hitch.

Davao City Police Office director, Sr. Supt. Alexander Tagum, told TIMES yesterday it was a peaceful weekend for the start of the Kadayawan festival. But the Joint Task Force Kadayawan will go full blast for the culminating week of the activities.

The task force was created two weeks ago with Public Safety and Security Command Center chief Benito De Leon as commander, and co-headed by Col. Erwin Bernard Neri of the Task Force Davao and Tagum.

It will comprise 3,000 personnel from TF Davao, DCPO, 3rd Infantry Battalion, 16th Infantry Battalion, Regional Public Safety Battalion, police auxiliaries and volunteers.

He said this will be the biggest security coverage so far for the festival.

“Actually we started our soft blast deployment yesterday ( Aug. 12) but it will go full blast today, Aug. 14 up to the culmination of our Kadayawan festival, ” he added.

In a separate interview, Neri said they already deployed around 800 TF members who will provide support to the security forces in the city. “Everyday they will be deployed into the different areas in the city particularly where there are more convergence of people,” he said.

Police auxiliary members

should follow traffic rules

Meanwhile, Tagum assured that he will not tolerate his PNP personnel and Volunteer Police Auxiliary (VPA) members violating traffic rules in the city.

In a social media page of Davao City’s Public Safety Company, a concerned citizen posted a photo showing two members of the police auxiliary on board a motorcycle without wearing a safety helmet.

In an interview yesterday, Tagum, said the public should help the police in clamping down on abuses committed by men in uniform. In the social media photo, he urged individuals to share the plate number, brand of motorcycle, time and place of the incident, which will be material for the investigation to be conducted.

In a separate interview, Supt. Ernesto Castillo, the head of DCPO’s Traffic Group, said they are bound to issue citations once they see anybody violate traffic laws, even including men in uniform.

Castillo said non-wearing of helmet is a violation under Republic Act 4136 and carries a penalty of P1,500.

Posted in Latest News