Arrest order soon  

NBI: court to issue warrant soon vs Matobato
THE NATIONAL Bureau of Investigation (NBI) XI yesterday said the warrant of arrest against self-confessed hitman Edgar Matobato for the case of frustrated murder and kidnapping will soon be released.

Speaking in yesterday’s AFP-PNP press conference held at Police Regional Office XI, Arnold Rosales, director of NBI XI, said the Digos City Prosecutors Office recommended the filing of the cases against Matabato and his cohorts.

“The CPO of Digos city recommended for P200,000 bail for each of the respondents ,” Rosales said.

Digos Assistant City Prosecutor Suzette Dalumpines, in her resolution dated Nov. 24, 2016, indicted Matobato and another respondent, lawyer Norberto Sinsona, on the complaint filed by Alberto Salcedo Jr.

Salcedo used to be an adjudicator of the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) in Southern Mindanao and he positively identified Matobato as the one who tried to kill him on Oct. 23, 2014. Apparently, the victim saw the alleged hitman while he was testifying in senate for reportedly being employed as one of the members the Davao death squad.

“So the warrant of arrest will issued by the court  this coming week ,” he said.

Rosales also said they have filed a case against Matobato on the case of Salik Makdum.

The CPO of Samal recommended the filing of a case against Matobato for kidnap for ransom  in a resolution last December.

Based on the records, Makdum was allegedly kidnapped by Matobato and his group on Nov. 9, 2000 in Igacos. Matobato’s group allegedly demanded P100,000 ransom. The ransom money was taken by a man outside a mall in Davao City. However, Makdum was not released.

Two days later, Makdum called his wife and said that his kidnappers were demanding P3 million. Since then, there was no word on Makdum anymore.

Makdum common-law wife, Mirasol Marquez, filed kidnapping case on Nov. 14, 2000.

Aside from Matobato, other respondents were Sonny Custodio, Nalwin Calpo, Raul Rodriguez and one unidentified man.

Rosales also said they received a report about Matobato hiding somewhere in the northern part of Luzon.

“As of yesterday (Tuesday) we have information about the whereabouts of the subject (Matobato),”he said.

Matobato claimed to be a long-time member of the Davao death squad operating under the orders of SPO3 Arthur Lascanas, said to be the main henchman of President Rodrigo Duterte.

Around 20 police officers assigned at the DCPO were also named by Matobato to be members of the Davao Death Squad during his testimonies in the senate hearing. Eight of them are still in active service.

Based on the court records, Matobato was arrested by police operatives on June 19, 2014 for allegedly carrying a .45 caliber that was loaded with 10 bullets outside his house at Familia Sagrada, Km. 12 in Sasa without license.

During his arrest, Matobato presented a permit to carry but investigators claimed it was expired.

The permit was valid from Dec. 5, 2011 to Dec. 11, 2012 by then Police Director General Nicanor Bartolome.

Prosecutor Oliver Saniel, in his resolution dated June 27, 2014, found probable cause that Matobato violated Sec. 31 of the RA 10591.

Matobato obtained his temporary liberty after posting P2,000 bail bond last June 30.

Posted in HEADLINES