Aid to Marawi

Mayor Sara orders P5M assistance to battle-hit city
THE CITY government will give P5-million aid to Marawi for its rehabilitation after the five-month siege laid by the Islamic State-inspired militants.

This after the City Council immediately approved yesterday the request of Mayor Sara Duterte to release the fund.

The city councilors, during the suspended rules, unanimously voted to approve the resolution and its corresponding ordinance for the city government to draw the money from its five percent calamity fund for the assistance to Marawi.

Mayor Sara Duterte, in her letter to the city council, asked the legislators to approve her proposed “assistance to the city government of Marawi, which is in state of calamity due to the damage posed by the terrorist attack.”

Under the approved ordinance, it authorized Duterte to utilize portion of the 30 percent Quick Response Fund (QRF) out of the 5 percent Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund (Calamity Fund) of the city government for 2017.

According to the records of the City Budget Office, the city’s QRF has a total balance of P91 million as of yesterday.

In an interview, councilor Danilo Dayanghirang, chair of the City Council’s Committee on Finance, said the financial assistance will be given to the local government of Marawi City within the week right after the signing of the check.

Dayanghirang said that the mayor’s request was in order as Republic Act 7160 (Local Government Code) allows the use of the five percent calamity fund in areas affected by a disaster or calamity even if these are not part of the city.

The city government will give P5 million to help aid Marawi City in its rehabilitation efforts, the mayor said.

She said the donation is our “duty as Dabawenyos to help our countrymen in Marawi.

Mayor Duterte said she talked with Marawi City Mayor Majul Usman Gandamra last Saturday.

The presidential daughter said she initially planned to give Marawi P10 million.

“But we still have two months left. My priority is still Davao City. Maybe mid next year or the same period, we will look at how they used the P5 million and we can give them more,” she said.

Duterte also encouraged other local government units (LGU) to extend help to Marawi City.

“I encourage other LGUs to share from their own disaster funds,” she said. “If we all give a little and put it all together, it can make a big difference.”

Davao City is traditionally giving out aid to disaster-stricken areas.

When Super Typhoon Yolanda struck the country in 2013, the city government, then headed by mayor Rodrigo Duterte, released assistance of P7 million.

The city also donated P18 million to Bohol and Cebu during the earthquakes that hit both islands earlier that same year.

Last year, the city also donated P31.5 million to assist drought-hit farmers in North Cotabato after a protest blockade ended up in violence, resulting to the death of some protesters in Kidapawan City.

The city sources out its donated funds from a portion of the disaster fund automatically allocated in accordance to the local government code.

Over the years, the city has invested in millions of pesos in emergency response equipment for the use of agencies such as the City Disaster Risk Response and Management Office, among others. (with CIO)

Posted in HEADLINES