8 demolition team members probed for allegedly stealing from vendors

CITY DEMOLITIONS unit chief Yusop Jimlani said they are already investigating eight of his employees for allegedly stealing from vendors whose stalls they demolished.

In a radio interview at DXAB aired Friday morning, Jimlani said the eight employees would be facing dismissal if found guilty.

He admitted their office received complaints from vendors that some of the employees allegedly stole shoes and food during various demolition activities.

“We can show them the results of the investigation,” Jimlani said. “We don’t allow this in our office.”

According to the demolition chief, around 95% of the seized goods from sidewalk vendors were perishable goods like fruits and vegetables. .

These were donated to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (both male and female wards), House of Hope, PIDCC, Balay Dangupan, Home for the Aged, Prayer House, as well as Boystown last Feb. 13.

“These have been properly received and on record,” he said.

Jimlani said some of the employees who were reported to be stealing from vendors had already returned some of the items, like shoes from some vendors at the Roxas night market.

“But they will still be punished,” Jimlani said.

Meanwhile, the city reportedly collected P2.6 million from the night market, which was proposed in 2013 but was only fully implemented in January last year.

This excludes P400,000 in collectible income from vendors who still had not settled their P25/night stall space at Roxas Avenue.

“If we collect that amount, the city would earn around P3 million in income,” Jimlani said.

Earlier this week, the city official said he was going to endorse to the city council an increase of the stall space from P25 to P50.

Posted in Latest News