4 passengers from van, truck crash still in critical condition

FOUR OF the seven remaining injured patients admitted at the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) are still in critical condition and currently being monitored at the hospital’s intensive care unit.

This, after an accident left 11 dead and seven injured in a crash between two vehicles Wednesday dawn.

Department of Health XI regional director Abdullah Dumama Jr., said in an interview that as of Friday, the four are still fighting for their lives at the hospital.

Most of the injuries sustained during the accident, according to data from the Health Emergency Management Staff of the DOH, involved head and chest injuries. Most of the remaining injuries involved chest and head trauma.

Four of the injuries involved severe head injuries secondary to vehicular accidents, while the rest involved blunt abdominal trauma and blunt chest trauma. One of the injured also incurred a mild head injury.

Admitted to the SPMC were Mary Caspillo, 17, female; Jhon Philip Navarro Lara, 23, male; Cristobal Custodio Andrade, Jr., 25, male; and four unidentified others.

A 30-year-old man wearing blue shirt and brown pants is suffering from a severe head injury.

Meanwhile, a man initially identified as “X66,” wearing black t-shirt and black jersey shorts was suffering from a severe head injury.

A 25-year-old female wearing purple shirt and gray maong pants had a severe head injury, while a 30-year-old male wearing a blue-green t-shirt was said to be suffering from a severe head injury.

The DOH and the SPMC have not confirmed yet which of the injuries are in the ICU.

The Land Transportation Franchise Regulatory Board had recently asked the operator of the UV Express to explain why a suspension should not be served for his franchise of units plying the northern route to and from Davao City.

Nine passengers were killed on site while two others expired at the hospital. Nine died on the spot while nine others were immediately brought to the SPMC after the accident.

From the deaths in the hospital, one died on arrival while the other died the next day, Jun. 15.

Last week, the regional office of the LTFRB issued a show cause order to operator Abelardo Abelita in a document signed by LTFRB XI director Atty. Teresita Dela Peña Yñiguez.

The show cause order asked Abelita his side on the incident.

A Toyota Hi-Ace commuter van driven by Joey Alcarazen and an Isuzu forward Dropside driven by Juanito Labrigas slammed into each other around 5 a.m. Wednesday.

Posted in Latest News