2 firecracker injuries reported in the region

ONLY two cases of firecracker injuries have so far been recorded by the Department of Health (DOH) in the region since Dec. 21.

 Assistant Secretary Abdullah Dumama, Jr., said that one case was reported in Compostela Valley where the victim was admitted at the Davao Regional Medical Center in Tagum City, Davao del Norte. The other case was reported in Davao del Sur.

 Most of the firecracker injuries were caused by piccolo, a banned firecracker.

 Last year, there were 24 cases. Most of the firecracker-related injuries were reported in Davao Oriental with eight cases. Davao del Norte recorded seven cases last year, followed by Compostela Valley with five and Davao del Sur with four.

 The year before that, the region recorded 115 cases from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan. 5, 2016.

 Earlier this year, President Rodrigo Duterte released an executive order that bans the use of illegal firecrackers and requires local government units to establish designated firecracker areas for regulated firecrackers.

 In Davao City, any firecracker and fireworks products are absolutely illegal.

 Mayor Sara Duterte and police city director Sr. Supt. Alexander Tagum said authorities will intercept firecrackers and fireworks products passing through the city, where the region’s main ports are located.

Posted in Latest News