134 people questioned in another DCPO raid

ONE-HUNDRED thirty three persons were checked and verified by Davao City Police Office on Saturday in another raid in Piapi, Boulevard, Barangay 23-C.

City Police Office director, Sr. Supt. Alexander Tagum, told TIMES yesterday that the operation was part of “Oplan: Bulabog,” which his reportedly aimed at flushing criminals out of the communities in Davao City.

The joint operation was joined by three SWAT teams, City Public Safety Company, Investigation and Detection Management Branch, Task Force Davao and 100 personnel from Sta. Ana, San Pedro, Talomo, Sasa, Buhnagin, Bunawan, Toril and Tugbok police precincts.

According to Tagum, 11 of them were IDPs from Marawi City. All of the individuals were released after their identities checked.

Earlier this month, 191 men from Muslim village in Km. 11 in Sasa were rounded up by the Davao City Police Office purportedly to verify their identities.

Of the 191 men, 155 were released immediately after they were able to prove their identities. Meanwhile, 36 men were processed because they could not show their IDs. However, all were released later after they were cleared.

Tagum said the operation was designed to discourage the presence of suspected terrorist and criminals who might be planning on using slum areas as hideout, “knowing that prevention is better than cure so that the likes of Marawi and Zamboanga incidents will not happen to our beloved city, ” he said.

In a previous interview with TIMES, Dennis Balaca, Integrated Bar of the Philippines governor for Eastern Mindanao, said authorities have the legal mandate to conduct similar operations since Davao City is under Martial Law.

He said this is also in line with the government’s efforts to prevent terror attack on the city.

Posted in Latest News